Thursday, July 11, 2013

I've Got Good News and Bad News

Wanting to try my "new to me" two harness loom...you know to get to know it better...I put on a very narrow warp. Yippee...I think I'm going to LOVE this loom for the reasons that I purchased it!
That's, of course, is the Good News today. 
I was using a slubby cotton for my weft. Within an inch of starting to weave the yarn broke. Rats, but mental note..."This is not a strong yarn, don't use it as warp." Just to show you how slow I am this morning...I get in my different stashes and try out three different weft threads and finally decide on the one you see on the shuttle below. Weaving away I notice a loose warp thread, quickly discovering it's more than loose it is broken. What?! Oh yeah..DERRR...I used the slubby cotton, 5 strands, in my warp!
So that's the Bad News...sorta starting over! 
On the brighter side...isn't this the cutest shuttle ever! It is not made from a hardwood so I don't expect it to last long. 

UPDATE: Finished!
60 inches of weave. 3/8 of an inch wide.
You may notice a bit of chunky edge....another lesson for me. I found a different (stronger) slubby, black yarn that I used for warp. It may have it's place in the interior of a strap but not on the edges. Unless that's the look you are going for, of course, which I was not on this piece.
If you are wondering what is the point of weaving something like this, check out SpinnerWeaver's blog on my blog list. Annie has a page that lists uses for a band.
Sweeeeet!
Ian's Shoelace Site was super helpful. I used the heat shrink tubing on these and they work fine for my snow boots. To make laces for my hunting boots I need a different aglet system. Or perhaps just a few less threads. After using a flame to shrink the tubing I took a suggestion found on Ian's page...I placed the tubed end between a sheet of paper and used my curling iron to shrink it a bit more. If you go this route...it doesn't take long...keep a close watch on it. I better get busy and weave another one!
Well, well, well...10 additional inches...perfect. Actually I'm not too worried as I try not to use these boots as much as possible. (Living in New Mexico is helpful...not a lot of snow in the last several years.) I'm happy with the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment