Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Happy Independence Day!

This is a great Patriotic pattern, taken from "Inkle Weaving" by Helene Bress (Illustration 37b.) 
The above strap is 100% Perle Cotton. Beginning warp was 95", finished woven 64", with a 4" or 5" fringe. Finished width is 1-5/8". This would make a great camera strap!
TMI moment: A couple of years ago I made this same strap into a belt. I have used fashion D rings and believe me they hold very well. Don't be in a rush to the porcelain!
I decided to weave this with nylon as the outer warp and also the weft. Using the same pattern and thread count left me with a narrow strap so I plumped it up a bit with a few interspersed cotton warp threads. It is still a bit narrow for a belt and if you really want a stripe to pop, give it an outline not a border! Measurements same as above with a width of 1-1/2".
Now I wish I could report on the efficiency of the nylon belt but I haven't completed the transformation as of post time. Hmmm...tomorrow is Independence Day isn't it?! I better get busy!

No comments:

Post a Comment